Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Measure of Success

A couple of weeks ago I posted a thought from Sister Beck's most recent Conference talk. As I read that talk the first time I found myself debating which particular part to post about, feeling like there was so many gems in her talk! Obviously I finally decided on a part, but have found myself thinking about another part, so I'll write about that today. It is this:

"Good women [and men] always have a desire to know if they are succeeding. In a world where the measures of success are often distorted, it is important to seek appreciation and affirmation from proper sources. To paraphrase a list found in Preach My Gospel, we are doing well when we develop attributes of Christ and strive to obey His gospel with exactness. We are doing well when we seek to improve ourselves and do our best. We are doing well when we increase faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and seek out and help others who are in need. We know we are successful if we live so that we qualify for, receive, and know how to follow the Spirit. When we have done our very best, we may still experience disappointments, but we will not be disappointed in ourselves. We can feel certain that the Lord is pleased when we feel the Spirit working through us. Peace, joy, and hope are available to those who measure success properly."

I've learned something about myself recently. Often I base a lot of my feelings of success upon what others think of me or what I've accomplished. Depending on how close that person is to me or how much I value their opinion, determines how much their "approval" affects me. For example, I value the opinion of my parents a lot. If I perceive that my parents think I'm most successful because of my scholastic achievements, then I will make sure to tell them about those frequently. That is usually a good thing, until I start being successful in other areas in which I haven't updated them as frequently. It just makes for a complicated situation.

When I read Sister Beck's thought I read this: We often seek the approval of others, and that is great, but I also need to be able to "approve" of ourselves. We need to be able to look at our accomplishments and determine for ourselves that we are successful- to feel that determination by solely our relationship with our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. So, if I feel successful when I look back on my life and my actions, and I know Heavenly Father approves, then I am successful, regardless of what anyone else may think of me or say to me.

I think this is a lesson I've been learning for a long time. When I was in junior high and swam on the club swim team my coach (probably having recognized this about me) gave me this poem, right before I swam the biggest race of the season. Honestly, I don't even remember how I swam that day, but I do remember leaving that meet feeling like I was a success. I had learned something new, something I would come to find out would be something I would work on incorporating into my life for years to come.

This poem has changed my life.


The Measure of Success

Success lies not in how well known
you are, but how well respected…
not in your power to take,
but in your willingness to give.
It is measured by the height of your aspirations,
the breadth of your vision,
the depth of your convictions.
So look not to the
changing opinions of others
for news of you success.
Word comes in the small voice
you hear within at the end of the day,
Knowing you have done your best.
This is the only success that matters.

I challenge anyone within the sound of my voice (or really the sight of my post, I suppose) to take a look at how you measure the success of you life. You may be in for a treat in realizing the change in perspective that is available to you.

2 comments:

  1. As always, you are smooth as silk, and more beautiful than ever (inside and out). I appreciate the 'words' to live by -- fantastic perspective.

    Love you, dDog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dad. I'm glad to know you read my posts... as sporadic and verbose as they may be. That perspective is largely attributable to you and how you've raised me. I have fantastic parents. I love you.

    L

    ReplyDelete