First, it is amazing what good conversation with friends (family is preferable where possible) over a home cooked dinner can do for a person's spirits. Let me explain. I attended one of the most frustrating, poorly-run meetings of my life tonight and subsequently left in a horrible mood. I left that meeting wondering how in the world I was going to not let it ruin the rest of my night. Dinner was the answer. I've recently joined a dinner group with some other students and thanks to Ryan, Elise, Ben, and Kelsey, my bad mood was dispelled and I can enjoy the rest of my night! Tonight was just another building block in my testimony of family dinner. I am sold on having family dinner with my future family every night. I had it growing up and am so thankful- I can't imagine life without it.
(...at this point you're wondering if it's only Japanese food that has this effect, or if the people I ate with were Japanese... well, neither, actually. The food was Indian curry and the people were all white. Keep reading...)
Second: Konichiwa! Hello from Japan! Well, almost... But here's the big news: Nate's going to work in Japan in two weeks! I am so excited for him! This is such a huge opportunity for him to build his personal brand with the firm and an amazing tribute to him. Rarely, if ever, do consultants get to work internationally their first year with the firm, and here he is going out his first month. What does that mean for us? Well, not much will change since our current communication consists of gmail video-chat anyway- he's either talking to me from a computer screen in SF or in Osaka! In fact, it's even better than our current situation because it means he can come home from Japan by way of Salt Lake. So... I guess it's time to invest in a English-to-Japanese dictionary... Sianara!
I too value dinner with the family -- a time to reconnect after a long day away from home. I am very grateful to your Mom for placing such a high priority on family meals.
ReplyDeleteI am equally interested in this poorly run meeting. I am always interested in the dynamics of asking people to a meeting and then letting valuable time slip away with no real purpose accomplished. In my mind a good meeting teaches, gathers, coordinates, and concludes.
Congrats to Nathan. Wow -- an exciting adventure right out of the chute! A big shout out to our friend in SF -- hoot, hoot. Dad
I would also like to add my two cents in for family dinner. I miss gathering as the seven of us and just chatting and laughing about the days events. Luckily, Olivia and I have "family dinner" every night--a chance for us to share our high-lights and low-lights of the day.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes--Nathan is AMAZING!! what a guy---right laur? :) unfortunately the only Japanese I know is "shé shé" and i learned that from Gilmore Girls...and it might actually be Chinese or something....